Encouraging you to enjoy what is left of Summer 2026 the Summer Multicultural Marketplace & Shows and the remaining Halifax Public Gardens Concert Series.

 By Kendall Worth


 

 

One of the reasons why I continue to advertise free summer events on my BLOG is because of the people I advocate for through Journalism for What Matters. Many people living in poverty, including people living on Income Assistance and other very limited incomes, simply do not have much money left over after paying for rent, groceries, bills and other necessities. This can make getting out of the house and participating in community activities difficult. When an event is FREE, however, it provides a much more affordable opportunity for someone on a small budget to get out of the house, enjoy their community and do something positive for themselves.


 

There is also a mental-health and social-connection reason why I believe these opportunities matter. Getting out does not have to mean spending a lot of money at restaurants, buying tickets to expensive entertainment or participating in activities that are beyond someone's budget. Sometimes it can mean going to the Halifax Public Gardens on a Sunday afternoon, sitting outside and listening to a free concert. It can mean walking down to the Halifax Waterfront and experiencing the Summer Multicultural Marketplace & Shows, listening to music, seeing different cultures represented and simply being around other people. For someone experiencing social isolation, even getting out and being part of a community environment can be meaningful. Free events do not solve poverty or social isolation, but they can provide opportunities to get out, have an enjoyable experience and help maintain one's mental well-being.

 

This is why, as we approach the final weeks of summer, I encourage the people I advocate for through this BLOG to consider attending the remaining free Public Gardens concerts from August 17 through September 21, as well as the 2026 Summer Multicultural Marketplace & Shows at the Halifax Waterfront on August 28 and 29. If you have someone you can attend with, consider inviting them. If you are comfortable attending on your own, these events can also provide a reason to get out of the house and be around your community. Most importantly, you do not need a large entertainment budget to participate in your community and enjoy what Halifax has to offer.

This is the #1 principle behind why I continue promoting free summer events on Journalism for What Matters: people living on small budgets deserve opportunities to get out, enjoy themselves, connect with their community and look after their mental well-being too. As summer begins to wind down, I encourage you to take advantage of these free opportunities while they are still here.

 

Comments