Interview with Julie Melanson

By Kendall Worth!



Julie and Kendall w/view of "storefront"

I was really excited to have had the opportunity to interview Julie Melanson. As you may remember, in Summer of 2021, she ran for the (Provincial) NSNDP in Armdale and she plans to seek the nomination again in 2025. In this interview she talks about what got her into running for election. She also talks about her involvement with a Halifax recovery organization and her current work in the North End of Halifax. I actually got to tour her Every One Every Day shop. She was telling me that this project is still getting up and running, but once it does there's going to be some really awesome work happening there.

One thing Julie wants to see is an end to the stigma against people who have addictions. Before COVID she organized a once a year event called Halifax Recovery and now that COVID restrictions have ended she wants to organize this event again. I was particularly interested in in interviewing Julie because, during her campaign for MLA, she advertised herself as an advocate for people with substance addictions and talked about running a recovery organization.

Also for the Business card of what Julie is up to, now that she did not win election as an MLA, see:



See the following interview for more on her work!

#1 - So you ran in the provincial election in 2021, and you plan to run again in 2025. Could you talk a little about what made you interested in wanting to engage in politics?

A - It was summer of 2020 and we were planning the inaugural Recovery Day event here in Halifax. I was contacting all of the province's MLAs, just looking for their support. During this process, I connected with former NS NDP MLA for Halifax Needham, Lisa Roberts, and during our conversation, she asked if I had ever thought about getting into politics myself. My initial thought was “no” because I'd never felt empowered to be involved, but after a short pause to think, I decided this was an opportunity I could not pass up. As an advocate working to break societal stigma on mental health and substance use disorder, the chance to influence policies, that could save peoples lives, was something I'd previously believed was beyond my reach; I was immediately invested and have not looked back ever since.

#2 - As you already know the current Income Assistance Rate in Nova Scotia is $950.00 a month, for a single person. This is known as the Standard Household Rate offered through the Department of Community Services, Employment Support and Income Assistance Program (ESIA). Do you think this is enough money to live on? Do you support the need for a better System at DCS, and do you personally support Basic Guaranteed Income as a solution? Do you have an opinion on how much money people do need to live on these days?

A - No - $950 a month is not enough. Any tenant in Nova Scotia knows on average, $950 a month isn't even enough to cover rent in this province and it's concerning to see this government turn a blind eye on those most affected by the cost of living crisis we are currently facing. The Department of Community Services works very hard with the resources they have, but until there is update to the algorithm used to determine what "basic assistance" entails and how much it actually costs to live in Nova Scotia today, the department's support only goes so far. If there is any takeaway from this unprecedented cost of living increase, it's that rates of pay, across the board, do not keep up with how quickly the cost of living is rising. Nova Scotians need rates of pay to be in sync with the cost of living. Income assistance, affordable housing, and similar government assistance programs , currently linked to income, need to instead be linked to the actual cost of living. Basic Guaranteed Income is a program I would like to see implemented in Nova Scotia, especially as a means to bridge the gap between income and cost of living. It's not the sole solution, but it would play a crucial role in stabilizing the wider social safety network, it would boost local economies in our province's rural areas, and it would be a big step forward in lifting Nova Scotians out of poverty. Last summer on the doorsteps, my community talked about the reports coming out at the time saying minimum wage in Halifax ought to be $21/hour to be on par with the then-current cost of living; one year later, life is now about 10% more expensive, and inflation here is actually a couple points higher than the national average. We need to ensure folks are receiving enough to meet their basic needs - no one should have to make the stressful decision between gas and groceries.

#3 - So at our first meeting you gave me a tour of your current work in the North End of Halifax. it is a place similar to a community centre. How could you describe the type of place (Community space) this is? Does your work on this project in the North End of Halifax have any connection to your interest in wanting to run again in 2025 for MLA?

A - I currently work on the Every One Every Day team, a new community project on Gottingen St working in partnership with the Mi'kmaw Native Friendship Centre. The shop and community space is free for people to utilize; it's a beautiful makerspace outfitted with tools, craft supplies, and sewing machines. The aim is to bring folks in from all parts of the North End, coming together to create and learn from each other through practical hands-on sessions led by local residents. Sessions range from batch cooking community meals, getting outside and exploring the community, and sharing cultural knowledge and traditions, as well as making, crafting, repairing, and so much more. Every One Every Day is fully based in truth and reconciliation, making this project as inclusive, as it is an innovative and as such, we are committed to holding a safe and welcoming space.

While I wouldn't say my desire to run again is directly the reason I took this position, I do think the drive to do both these things comes from the same place. I've always looked for ways to work in my own community, on projects that make life better for the people around me. I think it's important for more people making policy decisions to have lived the experience they're trying to fix; we need commitment to equitable and sustainable changes for everyone, not just a select few.

#4 - For several years, you ran Halifax Recovery and you told me you were a founder of an event that takes place in Halifax once a year to celebrate recovery. Can you talk a bit about that?

 

A - Back in 2019, I was introduced to Recovery Days, a new and fast growing event recognized by the United Nations as a day to celebrate recovery. Being in early recovery myself, it struck me Halifax didn't have an event like this, so I decided I was going to do what I could to make it happen. I got to work, and in partnership with the municipal government I was successful in getting September 12, 2020 proclaimed as Recovery Day Halifax. This was a huge step forward, as it recognizes recovery needs to be celebrated, and how we need to work together to help break societal stigma on mental health and substance use disorder. From there, I gathered a small but dedicated team of like minded people to plan the very first Recovery Day event, not only in Halifax but in all of Atlantic Canada.

Due to Covid, we had to pivot and hold our first event virtually. We had a successful livestream of musicians, speakers, artists, local organizations, DJs, and prizes. Being a virtual event meant that folks could tune in from anywhere, and I'm proud to our first event was, in fact, international.

In 2021, we held our second virtual event and again, we were very happy with the outcome and awareness we were able to stir up. I have since stepped away from my role with the Society to focus on other projects, but I leave behind a talented team who are continuing on with the 2022 event and beyond. This year, Recovery Day Halifax is working in collaboration with Hope for Wildlife and I'm thrilled to get to participate at their open house event September 10. In whatever I do, I will always advocate to break the stigma on mental health and substance use disorder.


#5 - Anything-Else you want to talk about?

A - I'd like to commend you on all of your work - thank you for speaking up and speaking out on the important issues we need to ensure are not forgotten or pushed to the side.


Thank you, Julie,  again for your time.



Comments

  1. Great interview! Heard her speak once and was so impressed! And, even on a zoom meeting, could feel her warmth and positive energy. We are fortunate to have compassionate and active people like this in our community!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment