An Open Letter of Support for Stacey Gomez

By Kendall Worth!



 I, Kendall Worth, am writing this letter today because I have been following the case of Stacey Gomez. I feel that in my role as an advocate for people living in poverty (and just to be clear I have no idea whether or not Stacey Gomez receives support from the Employment Support and Income Assistance Program) I should speak about this case.

I advocate to end homelessness, and for more affordable housing, to become Available in HRM/Nova Scotia, and I feel that I show my Support for Stacey Gomez and her current living conditions and issues. More and more people are becoming homeless regardless of their income situation, these days. Part of my reason for wanting to write this letter is because I have had the pleasure over these past few years of getting to know Stacey Gomez. She, in no way, deserves to be living in a tent, a shelter, or to become homeless.

Here is the latest that just showed up on my Facebook today. Followed by the story moving backward in time to the beginning.

Stacey Gomez 

(link to FB Post)psrnotSoedtg mOfhr:t25c9bt5 i0gf4f1a48t2fm29t 8 8Pi9h4oeM141  ·

"Today was intense. In short, the order condemning the building I'm in due to mould in the air (the result of landlord inaction to fix/control the problem) was issued today. I was told to leave within hours. We held HRM and NS officials accountable to ensure I had somewhere to go. Now, I have somewhere for the next 2 weeks at least. That's a small win.

It’s not over. I want repairs completed and to be able to return to my home. Stay tuned.

Shootout to T and H, who were on standby for the past two days, so that I wouldn't have to face this alone, when the time came."



Prior to seeing this on my Facebook, the following tweet set it up: 

 



And an earlier Tweet says:

 


I am concerned about Stacey’s landlord expecting her to move, at this time when we have an increasing homeless population here in Halifax/Nova Scotia. Shelters are full and not everyone has friends who can help them out, by putting someone up. In my view, Stacey’s landlord is behaving like an inconsiderate, heartless person who does not care whether or not Stacey becomes homeless . He is behaving like he does not care that she may have no-where to go after exiting her apartment. These days, you are seeing more and people living in tents. I myself as someone who knows Stacey Gomez, a little, need to say that she does not in any -way deserve to be treated the way the landlord has been treating her. It is my belief that if Stacey Gomez’s landlord had a heart, he would at least put her up in a hotel and allow her to move back into her apartment after the renovations are complete, at her current tenancy rent.

It is stories like Stacey Gomez’s that goes to show that landlords are not paying any attention to, or could care less about, the Increasing homeless population in this city.



She deserves much better!



Kendall Worth!

Comments