Discussions with the community living in poverty

 By Kendall Worth!

 


On the evening of April 19th 2023 a “poverty round table discussion”, hosted by the Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives (CCPA) took place here in Halifax. It was well attended by actual first voice people living in Poverty. Every Story I heard in that room was in one way or another related to the subject of things I talk about on my BLOG. The first voice people in attendance was a good mix of housed people living in poverty, and homeless people.

A meal was provided at this event which was exactly what was needed to attract people living in poverty. Because the event started at 5:30pm and a meal was provided, persons living in poverty who attended, did not have to prioritize attending Hope Cottage to get their last meal of the day. I did not actually make a count but there close to 20 first voice persons living in poverty in attendance.

I am not going to get into the actual stories I heard at this event because although I did speak about my BLOG, their was no opportunity at this event for me to appraiser each person and ask for permission to tell their story.

However what I will say is:

Every first voice person who was present at this Round Table Discussion had their own stories. Some examples include:

  • People talking about how they get only $380.00 a month and who brought up the question: How are we suppose to find somewhere to live, when Community Services is not giving us money to find an apartment?

  • While some of the housed talked about getting the Full $950.00 standard house hold rate; others talked about only getting $609.00 a month.

  • Talks around that table also included things around the effects on mental health when living in poverty.

  • Some brought up wanting easier access to things such as employment opportunities, training, and mental health services.

  • Most people around that table agreed that more money to live on is a must, and agreed that Basic Guaranteed Income (as defined by the Nova Scotia Basic Income Group) is a solution.

What I will add is I hope this will be the first of many round table discussions with first voice people yet to come. I say this because this event was an opportunity for first voice people to come forward about their situations. I brought up at this event that there is a large group of people out there who for various reasons are scared to come forward about their situation.

For people to come forward, describe their lives and express their need – we need more Events like this!

Comments