Promoting an upcoming Open-Mic Event

By Kendall Worth!


Tickets: https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/halifax-workers-action-centre-open-mic-night-fundraiser-tickets-717153594707

 

On October 7th, 2023, The Workers Action Centre will be holding an Open Mic event. Even though my advocacy is about welfare rates and poverty, organizations like Justice for workers are in different capacities part of the solution to eliminating poverty. This is an event I will be supporting myself, maybe not in person, certainly not financially, but I will be supporting at the very least in spirit.

Why?

When I think about organizations like the Workers Action Centre and Justice for Workers advocating for things like:

  • Increasing the minimum wage in N.S. to a livable amount. For the longest time they advocated for $15.00 an hour and now they are advocating for $20.00 an hour.

  • They are fighting for access to justice and to uphold rights for workers who are not members of unions.

  • Members of the Justice for Workers whom I personally know support why an increase to the Income Assistance rates, in Nova Scotia.

  • Organizations like Justice for Workers also reminds us about the increase in the homeless population in Nova Scotia ; inflation continues to behave the way it is behaving; and we have a large amount of working poor in our society, as well.

Back in May this year, I wrote this article that talks about how the Best Dream for a person living in poverty these days is winning the lottery. I know if I ever won the lottery and especially if the jackpot was as high as say $64million, $55Million, $70million or more, I would certainly be supporting this organization with a generous financial donation. My reasons for wanting to support this organization is they do a lot of great work in the community especially for the working poor.

Over the years, my posts have pointed out lots of reasons, relating to work and income assistance, why organizations like Workers Action Centre and Justice for Workers should care about and show their support on the issues of importance to the people I advocate for. YOU can see a lot of those posts here, where I outline a lot of policies that keep people living in people in poverty. One major example of why the Community of People I advocate for counts on the support of organizations like Justice for Workers is because we simply do not have the resources or capacity to do this ourselves as I pointed out, looking for more support here and here. Organizations like Justice for workers should expand their mandate to help people living in poverty as they have better resources then groups of people living in poverty do.

I hope justice for Workers and the Workers Action Centre Gets a lot of Support moving Forward.


Comments