In Carrie Ann Bugden's Own Words

 



February 7th, 2024
 

(Note - To see the Full Story of who Carrie Ann Bugden is Click on the Labels at the bottom of this BLOG post) 

ATTN Honorable Premier Tim Houston and Honourable Minister of Community Services Trevor Boudreau
 

CC/Other Disability Organizations and Government Departments this may concern;  

Good day. I hope this letter finds you well. My name is Carrie-Ann Bugden, and I am from St. Johns, Newfoundland. Although I am currently an online student studying at the Mount Saint Vincent University (MSVU) campus, I am pleased to have had the opportunity to have attended the university in person for 15 months. Regrettably, I have been forced to return home because of multiple acts of ableism, disability-related violence, and microaggressions from numerous members of senior administration, staff, and students of the MSVU community. These claims are described in a detailed letter to Minister Brian Wong. I was asked to write to you today in consultation with members of the disability community in Nova Scotia, both to share my experiences of visiting Nova Scotia as a motorized wheelchair user and to provide possible areas for provincial change and improvement for me to return to this beautiful province within the coming year.
Nova Scotia (particularly Halifax) is significantly more accessible than Newfoundland. I am honored to be a Newfoundlander, having been born and raised in such a rich culture and heritage with some of the most kind-hearted, warm, and selfless people you could ever meet. Despite all this, Newfoundland is the least accessible province in Canada and has historically held a 75% poverty rate among persons with disabilities. Additionally, our public transportation is inaccessible, leaving subsidized paratransit and accessible taxis as our only method of transport. Additionally, those with significant mobility concerns can only reside within the parameters of these services (within the cities of St. Johns or Mount Pearl) and are typically unable to access the towns of Conception Bay South (CBS), Paradise, or all other areas of the province without a vehicle.
Along with the physical, rocky landscape, Newfoundland lacks the appropriate physical or environmental climate for those with disabilities. Newfoundland routinely experiences significant weather events for roughly 5-6 months every year and thus is commonly impacted by treacherous amounts of snow, ice, and wind conditions. For this reason, I have not been outside since arriving home on December 19t 2023.
            Nova Scotia is not without its deficits, one of its most notable being the lack of inconsistency and transparency when receiving disability-related support. Essentially, there seems to be an inherent disconnect, arrogance, or lack of knowledge and understanding of what it means to live with a disability and have a genuine need for services. Strangely, there is no collaborative effort between these organizations to work with one another, and consequently do not seem to be informed about one another within the same area. There also appears to be a significant discrepancy between information provided or known between departments and organizations across the province. There were multiple examples of government officials giving me inaccurate information prior to entering the province despite having inquired about it before leaving Newfoundland. I was also not provided any information in writing. Officials gave me information they either weren’t privy to, had no prior knowledge of, or completely ignored my requests and did very little to foster a sense of belonging. As a result, several questions remain despite being routinely passed back and forth on multiple occasions. These concerns are:
-        What exactly is involved in becoming a resident of Nova Scotia? If it is a year following graduation, what services can I be eligible for, and what am I ineligible for?
-        Who can help me advocate for these services if the province does not currently hire anyone to do this if Independent Living Nova Scotia (ILNS) is not responsible for individual case management? (advocation)
-        If there is no help as described above, how are people with disabilities meant to live in Nova Scotia?
-        There is confusion over what is considered a fixed address and what is not, i.e., a tent over a university campus or a car.
These questions indicate a dire need for legitimate individual advocacy services for people with disabilities in Nova Scotia, particularly in organizations such as ILNS, where the need is especially salient. While I am a firm believer in the person-first ideology, I also assert that the onus should not be placed solely on the person with disabilities themselves to access information and resources, rather that it should be a collaborative effort and is sometimes required to achieve success. My supporters have also asked me to compile a list of what I would need to be successful in Nova Scotia. Sheltered, small options and tent living are not negotiable. These include but are not limited to:
Full/partial rental subsidy with accessible and affordable housing MAX BUDGET $900-$1200 consisting of
A safe, clean, and crime-free area of the HRM on a fixed bus route
Barrier-free, above-ground entry with ramp if necessary
Accessible kitchen appliances with front-end switches for ease of use
Accessible laundry facilities
Accessible bathroom facilities with a standard left-sided toilet with a corresponding facing wall for installation of appropriate grab-rail and pedestal style sink (presence is required for installation of safety grab bar)
Doorways that can accommodate a standard-size motorized wheelchair (dimensions 33 inches in length and 26 inches in width) *areas must have appropriate turning radius and space*
If roommates are an option, they must be verified by me; additionally, the apartment must be pre approved by me before lease signage.

Per my questions above, I also require these services to return to Nova Scotia.
-        Regular PT/OT services to help with my return to the province and transition back to a new environment
-        A list of all funding sources to secure repair, maintenance, or eventual replacement of my motorized wheelchair (currently covered under Newfoundland and Labrador Health Authority Department of Community Services, not through traditional medical insurance.) NOTE: The Program does not offer preventative and routine maintenance and only covers damage that has already occurred. Underneath this current framework, my return to the province cannot happen until June-July 2024 or until my wheelchair has been fully serviced or replaced. Conversations with the appropriate professionals must be had if this process is to take place earlier.
-        Continuing Care Assistants (CCA) are not needed. However, home supportive services will be entertained at my discretion when and if I ask.
I have been told that I have a generous amount of knowledge and experience to offer Nova Scotia, and I hope the reader of this letter believes this too as we all deserve a future that we can be proud of regardless of physical ability. Until then, I anxiously await the day I can return to Nova Scotia and look forward to what we can accomplish together. Please don’t hesitate to contact me via any of the methods below.
Until we meet again;
 

Warmly;
Carrie-Ann V.Bugden (She/Her)- St.Johns, Newfoundland
Please response to Carrie Ann Via Email, at email address below. 
carrieannbugden882@gmail.com


 

Comments