A follow-up with 3 on welfare, I reported on, in the past!

By Kendall Worth!


 

 

You may remember a series of posts about Daryl, Darlene and Shirley -- this post and this one and finally this post where I reported the good news that some issues they had during their annual review got resolved.

On June 17th, 2023 I checked in with them and they had some good news they wanted to share with me.

All of them are no longer on Income Assistance and they are now looking forward to what hopefully will be better days ahead. Darlene was never on income assistance, but Daryl and Shirley were, when I reported on them previously. Darlene recently got a promotion and raise at her job. Good for her!

As for Shirley you can call it a mixture of good news and not so good news.

I say this because everything we do in life has it’s advantages and disadvantages. The good news - Shirley recently got a new job and she is going to be making enough money that she will not need Income Assistance. The not-so-good-news is that, when she returns to University, she will not have the advantage and support of the Career Seek program. To qualify for Career Seek, and it’s continued support, she was told that she has to qualify for Income Assistance. Having a Job where you make $45K a year means you are off the system.

Shirley answered a follow up question, about her pans for working full time vs just for the summer months, by telling me that she got hired on to fill in for someone who is taking a whole year on Maternity Leave, from June 23- June 24. She said to me, “Kendall, I got to thinking a couple of things when I decided to do this. First – I would like to get through this Summer not having to depend on Daryl and Darlene for Friendship meaning keeping each other to our selves like we did the past Summers. While I am at work having Co-Workers gives me different people to talk to. Second – The type of job I will be doing gives me work experience I can use towards what I am studying at School. I will be taking one night class so I will still be a part time student next year.

And Daryl's good news is, he recently was offered full-time employment at the part-time job he was working. He got promoted to manager as his Boss believed for sometime Daryl was ready for this.

They are looking forward to not having to depend on each other so much for friendship. Living life with different schedules helps. They have no longer living together as a goal. Now that they are better off financially, they can start working toward this goal.

I wish them all the best moving forward!

Comments

  1. That is fantastic, congratulations to the three of them.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment