Thinking about what is more important these days


By Kendall Worth

In many of my BLOG posts, I talk about poverty and mental health-related issues here in Halifax. 

My journalism and advocacy work explores the causes and impacts of social isolation. Many of the people I advocate for experience social isolation. These days, when I talk to welfare recipients in my community, they are asking themselves, "What is more important, survival or having friends?"


My December 12th BLOG post examines why people on income assistance are asking themselves this question. 


In 2024, we have to think more and more about our survival. Many welfare recipients believe this is because of inflation and rising costs, which is leading to ever-increasing homelessness. We need a big change this year, like the one I wrote about here.


Since January, I have heard people in my community talk about longer line-ups at food banks and soup kitchens. Many of these people live in fear of homelessness too. People living in poverty in Nova Scotia are also wondering what mental health supports can do when people don't even have enough money to make ends meet.


Depression, anxiety, and poverty go hand in hand. Here is an article I wrote in my early days as a journalist for the Nova Scotia Advocate. Even though it dates back to 2016, it is still relevant today, considering the challenges we are facing. 


I have also had conversations with housed people who are saying that they are also experiencing increasing social anxiety. This is coming from concerns about how they will continue to survive and afford their living costs. 


It seems that the only escape would be to win the lottery! But what if, for one month, a person on welfare spent $4.00 per week on lottery tickets? This would cost them a total of $16.00, which would take away from their $950 budget for rent, bills, and food. Considering that $950.00 isn't even enough to live on, welfare recipients can't afford to try their luck.


As the homeless population becomes more visible to the public in Halifax, welfare recipients in my community are saying that now is the time to end the stigma. After all, it isn't just welfare recipients who are becoming homeless. Many working people can no longer afford rent with what they earn. Some are having to work multiple jobs to get by.


There is some good news I wrote about here. 60% of income assistance recipients will qualify for an increase of $300 per month. However, the other 40% will not qualify.


With all that is happening here in Halifax in 2024, mental health issues are on the rise. This is not surprising. Getting out of poverty is more and more difficult these days. 


It is time for the stigma around poverty to end! This year, let's advocate for a solution.

Comments