A Strong Message To Those Who Believe In Stigmatizing People With Mental Health Issues

By Kendall Worth!



I write a lot about the impacts that living on low income has on health. I have written a lot about what it is like to live on the $950 standard household rate, that will soon increase, for those 60% of welfare recipients who qualify, to receive the extra $300.00 that will =  $1250. Those who qualify for the $300.00 will get it monthly, starting at the end of April 2024. When I say “60% who will qualify”, this post clarifies what I am talking about. It points out one major example of a problem the $300.00 is not going solve. The other 40% of Income Assistance recipients who will not qualify will receive a one time, $150.00 drop in the bucket, payment. However, the feeling in the air, according to recent conversations I have had with Income Assistance recipients, is that those increases are not going to solve every problem they have in life.

But First!

As this post points out, past increases, for example:

  • the $20.00 increase in 2015,

  • the $40.00 in January of 2021 which at that same time the standard household rate came into effect.

  • then the $100.00 increase that happened in Spring 2021.

    All of the above increases amounted to nothing but a drop in the bucket. The same blog post points out that the $300.00 is just one step up from a “Drop in the Bucket”. I provided some evidence about another issue about affordability in this post dated April 7th, 2024 that elaborates on the fact that many people in Nova Scotia cannot afford to pay their Nova Scotia Power bills, these days.

    All these stories (in years of journalism about Income Assistance) demonstrate why the condition and incomes of Income Assistance recipients, in 90% of cases, are not from poor life choices, or the fault of the recipient. Every situation is different.

As I point out in many of my articles, the Employment Support and Income Assistance program is the only program we have in Nova Scotia, that is considered a disability living allowance. It does not provide an income that is adequate to live on.

Recently I interviewed two people who I will call Mr. R and Mr Jack. I do not use the real names of welfare recipients so that they may avoid the stigma of such identification. Both told me about issues they had back in 2001/2002 when they were publicly identified as welfare recipients in the news, using their real names, Using their real names resulted in them having the exact experience that this article in the, now folded, Nova Scotia Advocate, addresses. It talks about contact and harassment by those who believe in the stigma attached to being “on welfare.” Stigma that is also covered in this article and this article. Mr. R and Mr. Jack both have invisible disabilities which will make them two of the 60% of welfare recipients in Nova Scotia that will qualify for the $300.00 increase. However, Mr. R and Mr. Jack got told by those by people who they have not spoken to in years in a rude and disrespectful manner, just like others experienced in this artcile. One feeling in the air is that this $300.00 increase is not going to get rid of the stigma.

Mr. R and Mr. Jack also told me that they have had times in their lives where they have experienced their share of getting accused of Inappropriate Body Language, and for you to get an understanding/get a clear picture of what type of body language I am talking about, I invite you to read this article from back on March 6th 2017.

Mr. R and Mr. Jack told me about a specific incident they had, one day at the library. They were sitting in a group, talking about how some people are treated by private private security guards and police officers, following complaints to them about body language. They first contacted me because someone overheard the conversation and directed them to my blog. I should mention they got in contact with me with the help of a library staff person, because they do not have have access to Social Media, and, like most welfare recipients, do not have phone numbers where I can get a hold of them.

During my interview with them, they thanked me for writing about this stuff on my blog and for the advocacy work that I do. They specifically thanked me for writing this letter because they have experienced this themselves, and 100% agree that this treatment has got to stop. One comment they made about this BLOG post is: Yes Kendall, we agree that some form of legislation has got to get passed for private security guards. Guidelines have got to be provided for those who work at private security firms, because security guards are not mental health professionals.

So, as you can see Mr. R and Mr. Jack have a mixture of problems, and like many welfare recipients, they are not just financial. 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

  Kendall Worth is an award-winning anti-poverty activist who lives with disabilities and tries to make ends meet on income assistance.

 

 

Comments